Thursday, October 28, 2010

Variations on the DOTR Symbol

Interweaving the Three Realms
This design is based on the Druid Order of the Three Realm's design of the combined triskelion and triquetra. The effect of the spiraling curves in the original symbol is so dynamic and yet so simple and elegant. Though I liked that design as it is, in some ways I felt like the spirals were too "outwardly" focused, if that makes sense. I wanted to bring each of the spirals in the interlace with the others... The idea of adding the flare to symbolize each of the three realms kind of came to me while I was doodling.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the design, but it's been bouncing around in my brain for at least a week and when I did finally get a draft down I was pretty pleased with it. However, it's the best I could do without a compass and, you know, talent... I'm thinking of eventually turning it into an altar tile or plaque, and maybe even a tattoo.

After putting out a request on Facebook for folks interested in touching up the design and going for a more professional "look," I received two beautiful renditions. The first, from Christopher Lee Horne:
As you can see, I incorporated this image into the header of this blog.

The second came from Dylan Thomas:

Also quite striking. I want to express my gratitude and appreciation to both!

2 comments:

Bob Patrick said...

Both of these catch my attention, in slightly different ways. They don't function as the Order symbol does for me (but then, I have more history with it than some), but these invite me into a personal consideration of the realms. ANd, it sounds like that's what you were after. Very nice.

Ali said...

You know what's really interesting... I'm noticing that in the image included in Lesson 2 that I was working off of, the spirals actually go in the opposite direction from the symbol as it appears on the DOTR page! So the effect, if you're following the spirals clockwise, is that in the DOTR webpage symbol the spirals open out from the center of the triquetra, and in the three-realms images in this post, the spirals begin kind of "within themselves" and spiral inwards to create the triquetra. If you see what I'm saying. Fascinating! I wonder if that's part of the different "feel" the two versions have for me.

I'd love to hear more about your history or relationship with the DOTR image, if you're willing to share! :)